Board and Train FAQ
Wondering if the Canine Solutions Board and Train Program is right for you? Here are some questions that people ask routinely. If you don’t see the answer to your question please call 913.712.8742.
- How does the Standard Board and Train Package work? Drop your dog off on Monday by 8 am at the DogSchool in Olathe KS. Your dog will board through the week and be ready for pick up after their last training session on Friday. Allow 30 minutes at pickup for your scheduled consultation to help you transfer your pup’s new skills to your home.
- Can I customize a Board and Train package? Yes, custom or A la Carte board and train packages are available.
- Do I have to pay upfront? A 50% deposit is required to reserve your dates and the remainder is due at or before drop-off.
- Can I get a refund if I cancel my training? We can only accommodate 3 board and train dogs at any given time and clients are often booked 1-2 months in advance. Once you’ve placed a deposit we hold those dates and will not book other clients. For that reason cancellations with less than 7 days notice (before training has commenced) are only eligible for a 50% refund. Full refunds are available if services are cancelled more than 7 days in advance. Once training has commenced no refunds will be offered.
- What is my dog going to learn during their stay? Our standard DaySchool objectives include Soft Mouth, Wait, Four Feet on the Floor, Come (Recall) & Leash Up, Basic Obedience, Loose Leash Walking/Heel, Leave It, Give & Take, Nail Trim & Body Handling Desensitization, Greeting Strangers, and potty training. Additional objectives may be identified on a case by case basis.
- I’m not traveling, can you still train my dog for me? Of course! Depending on your schedule, location, and training needs our DaySchool or Day Training Programs allow us to do much of the training for you.
- Is a Board and Train right for me and my dog? Board and Train is best for social dogs who can participate in group play, tolerate the close proximity of small children, and be kenneled without unreasonable stress. Dogs with separation anxiety may require preparatory training to prior to boarding. Because stress can be an impediment to training, dogs with a history of excessive stress or anxiety will be considered on a case by case basis.
- Are dog training services guaranteed? Changing your dog’s behavior can be impacted by a number of things including health of the dog, stress level of the dog, commitment of the owner, etc. For these reasons, it is not possible to guarantee the outcome of any training package. What we WILL guarantee is that we will put the work in to identify the needs of your dog and make every attempt possible to ameliorate any impediments to your training goals. We also guarantee that your dog will be treated like a member of our family and trained with respect, compassion, and the least aversive, minimally invasive training techniques. We take every effort to maintain a low stress environment as dictated by the philosophy of Positive Reinforcement Dog Training. If your dog is not progressing according to expectation you will be notified at once. During your consultations you will have the opportunity to address any questions and adjust training goals. After your dog’s stay you will have access to continuing support and education associated with the original training.
- What does my dog need for his stay? All you need to bring for your dog’s stay is enough food and any medications to last the full week or length of time in our care. A high quality food is an absolute must. Low quality foods are correlated with poor behavior and performance. Crating, bedding, toys, treats, and any other sundries necessary are provided. We recommend Nature’s Select Premium Dog Food.
- Where will my dog stay? Our home is a single family home with a detached garage in the heart of downtown Olathe. Dogs are housed in wire or plastic kennels appropriate to their breed and size. Special accommodations may be made on a case by case basis. Social dogs receive routine play time with other guests. Dogs who are excessively vocal may be housed in our climate controlled garage overnight.
- How many dogs stay at one time? Beside our resident dog Serendipittie, we can accommodate up to 3 additional dogs undergoing a board and train program at any given time.