Dog Training Apprenticeship Program
Canine Solutions’ 3 Level Apprenticeship Program is designed to support and empower the next generation of Positive Reinforcement Dog Trainers. Each level is designed to be completed at your own pace. A full-time apprentice (12 hours/week) should expect to accrue enough hours to sit for their certification exam within approximately 9 months.
Work study options are available!
Dive in, hone your skills, and get top notch hands on experience!
Print a Community Service Log
Students who commit to the full 3 level course can expect to be prepared to pass the Certified Professional Dog Trainer- Knowledge Assessed. Feel confident knowing you have the skills and experience necessary to be a successful and effective dog trainer.
Staff or instructor positions may be offered for high performing apprentices!
Canine Solutions Apprenticeship Overview
For Consideration Applicants Must:
- Be 18 years old and have a valid driver’s license from Kansas or Missouri
- Have performed a minimum of 20 hours of Volunteer work at an approved shelter.
- Provide 3 animal related references.
- Complete the Apprenticeship Application and submit the $35 application fee
- Undergo a background check.
- Have received a high school diploma or passed an equivalency test.
Level One $1,750 (50 Experience Hours to count toward CPDT)
Non-refundable Deposit: $500
Level one is designed to give students a comprehensive introduction to the world of animal handling and training. Courses can be completed at your desired pace. Upon mastering the basics of dog handling and training fundamentals the student will be able to begin gaining hands on a practical experience while assisting scheduled group classes and private training. A basic mastery of common training tools will prepare the student for the second course.
- Safe dog handling
- Multi-species communication patterns
- Learning Theory
- A Trainer’s Toolbox
- Training Fundamentals
- Behavior and Environmental Management
Level Two- $1,200 (100 Experience Hours)
Non Refundable Deposit: $400
Level two will guide apprentices for the challenges of working with the variety of personalities they may encounter. Learn to think on your feet and how to communicate effectively so that clients will be able to implement new skills in their own homes.
- Interpersonal Communication
- An in depth study of Canis familiaris
- Effective Problem Solving
- How to Teach Basic Obedience Cues
- Public Speaking & Teaching Group Classes
Level Three- $750 (150 Experience Hours)
Non Refundable Deposit: $300
Having mastered the principles and Positive Reinforcement Dog Training the third level will focus on the essentials of building a business and marketing new services. Apprentices who complete level three will graduate with a fully developed class or specialty service syllabus that they then will be able to market effectively and begin booking immediately upon graduation.
- Business Building
- Marketing Essentials
- Specialty & Class development
- CPDT-KA Prep